Nikon DSLR Forums Home 

This site requires new users to accept that a small amount of member data is captured and held in an attempt to reduce spammers and to manage users. This site also uses cookies to ensure ease of use. In order to comply with new DPR regulations you are required to agree/disagree with this process. If you do not agree then please email the Admins using info@nikon-dslr.net after requesting a new account. Thank you.

 Moderated by: jk  
AuthorPost
chrisbet



Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2019
Location: Leigh On Sea, Essex , United Kingdom
Posts: 1032
Status: 
Offline
Yep, Nikon FM and 50mm f2 - just like I had back in the late 1970s - need to replace the light seal foam but otherwise it is all A1 :thumbs:



Click here to comment on this image.

jk



Joined: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012
Location: Carthew, Cornwall, United Kingdom
Posts: 6616
Status: 
Offline
Nice one Chris.
Just need a Nikon dfc to go with it.

chrisbet



Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2019
Location: Leigh On Sea, Essex , United Kingdom
Posts: 1032
Status: 
Offline
Lol - do you mean Df or Zfc??

I always wanted a motor drive but couldn't afford it back in the day - not sure I want one now even though they seem to be 10 a penny - there is something very satisfying in the thumb action of winding the film on!

Robert



Joined: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012
Location: South Lakeland, UK
Posts: 4050
Status: 
Offline
I had the FE, my first Nikon. 

I was going to ask how many pixels it is but I have done enough silly today!

How are you intending to incorporate film with digital?  Use a film scanner like the PB4 bellows, or have them scanned by the processor?

I have a buddy locally who used to process the film and give me a CD with high resolution files on it for a tenner. Probably more now…

chrisbet



Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2019
Location: Leigh On Sea, Essex , United Kingdom
Posts: 1032
Status: 
Offline
Scanned by the processor I think - but I also keep a photo album or three so just 8 x 10 prints would be nice too.

Why don't we have split prism focus aids on the DSLRs?? I find that is much easier to use and I like the FM's little red exposure leds - sometimes simple is best!

jk



Joined: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012
Location: Carthew, Cornwall, United Kingdom
Posts: 6616
Status: 
Offline
chrisbet wrote:
Why don't we have split prism focus aids on the DSLRs?? I find that is much easier to use and I like the FM's little red exposure leds - sometimes simple is best!


Got to agree, it must be possible.
Fuji has one of a type but not perfect.

GeoffR

 

Joined: Thu Apr 12th, 2012
Location: Denham, United Kingdom
Posts: 269
Status: 
Offline
chrisbet wrote:

Why don't we have split prism focus aids on the DSLRs?? I find that is much easier to use and I like the FM's little red exposure leds - sometimes simple is best!

Possibly because it spoils the view.

chrisbet



Joined: Fri Feb 8th, 2019
Location: Leigh On Sea, Essex , United Kingdom
Posts: 1032
Status: 
Offline
Apparently they are available to retro fit!

Robert



Joined: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012
Location: South Lakeland, UK
Posts: 4050
Status: 
Offline
Cateye was the make, I think they have ceased but there may still be some kicking about. 

My theory is that the manufacturers don’t want to insinuate that their auto focus is less than perfect by addition of a simple but effective focus aid which gives a single point of focus rather than a zone of focus based on your focus point. 

After all, they have spent a lot of yen? Perfecting their AF system.

Eric



Joined: Thu Apr 19th, 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3642
Status: 
Offline
Robert wrote:
Cateye was the make, I think they have ceased but there may still be some kicking about. 

My theory is that the manufacturers don’t want to insinuate that their auto focus is less than perfect by addition of a simple but effective focus aid which gives a single point of focus rather than a zone of focus based on your focus point. 

After all, they have spent a lot of yen? Perfecting their AF system.
Don’t quite understand the inference that accurate ‘point of focus’ is only achievable with a manual focus camera offering split screen focusing aid?

Whilst a split screen was indeed one of the best traditional aids for manually focusing, the latest digital cameras are more than capable of achieving perfect point focus automatically and even manually with on board focusing aids such as ‘focus peaking’.

And after all, unless your subject is planar, there will always be a zone of focus (ie depth of field) for all cameras and lens combinations and settings.

Last edited on Sat Jul 17th, 2021 21:49 by Eric

jk



Joined: Mon Apr 2nd, 2012
Location: Carthew, Cornwall, United Kingdom
Posts: 6616
Status: 
Offline
I think that there are several issues in-play here.
1. Questions about why an AF camera misses focus
2.  Is manual focus more accurate than camera AF
3.  How good are your eyes? As we get older our reflexes get slower so what we used to be able to do is not so rapid.  How much will differ between people.

I think the first item is about expectation.
Do you expect your camera to nail perfect focus every time?  I dong think this is realistic but it should be better than you 95% of the time.  
It is also dependent on your subject.  A black cat in a coal cellar with a single 25w light bulb will definitely challenge most/all camera systems.
The difference in mode of working between Phase Detection and Contrast Difference AF systems will also make a difference.  As will maximum aperture of the lens used.

The second item.  That is about how good your eyesight is and whether or not you can see small changes of focus.  There are several aids such a split image and microprism screens in DSLRs but in mirrorless this is not so possible and the aids provided are good but not perfect.

The third aspect is something that is difficult to assess as we all have changing eyesight as we get older but it is a complex set of factors on play.


In short I dont offer a solution only awareness of compromises.
I think AF works well for me most of the time but not always!  Sometimes I miss focus and sometimes the camera chooses a slightly different point to focus on than I thought I chose!  User error or camera error results in missed focus.

novicius



Joined: Mon Aug 13th, 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 332
Status: 
Offline
Nice Pristine looking find, Congrats Chris ...I`ve never gotten along with the split-prism. it is the micro-prism for me , and altho` I`ve got all of the Slr`s on standby ( incl. a Konica autoreflex T ) , I can n`t use `em `cause I have n`t got diopter lenses and I can n`t use spectacles to peer thru` the finder...adjustable diopter on the Dslr` s is something I really appreciate.

Eric



Joined: Thu Apr 19th, 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 3642
Status: 
Offline
jk wrote:
I think that there are several issues in-play here.
1. Questions about why an AF camera misses focus
2.  Is manual focus more accurate than camera AF
3.  How good are your eyes? As we get older our reflexes get slower so what we used to be able to do is not so rapid.  How much will differ between people.

I think the first item is about expectation.
Do you expect your camera to nail perfect focus every time?  I dong think this is realistic but it should be better than you 95% of the time.  
It is also dependent on your subject.  A black cat in a coal cellar with a single 25w light bulb will definitely challenge most/all camera systems.
The difference in mode of working between Phase Detection and Contrast Difference AF systems will also make a difference.  As will maximum aperture of the lens used.

The second item.  That is about how good your eyesight is and whether or not you can see small changes of focus.  There are several aids such a split image and microprism screens in DSLRs but in mirrorless this is not so possible and the aids provided are good but not perfect.

The third aspect is something that is difficult to assess as we all have changing eyesight as we get older but it is a complex set of factors on play.


In short I dont offer a solution only awareness of compromises.
I think AF works well for me most of the time but not always!  Sometimes I miss focus and sometimes the camera chooses a slightly different point to focus on than I thought I chose!  User error or camera error results in missed focus.
The eyesight is a very good point. My wife’s diopter setting on her Panasonic was waaaaay out for my eyes. So when she asked me to take a photo with her camera, I framed the fuzzy picture with the fuzzy focus spot over the fuzzy object and let the autofocus take a non fuzzy photo.

Of course knowing the aperture and it’s depth of field on the sensor size you have, distance of the subject and focal length can help.

Last edited on Sun Jul 18th, 2021 13:40 by Eric


Current theme is Blue



A small amount of member data is captured and held in an attempt to reduce spammers and to manage users. This site also uses cookies to ensure ease of use. In order to comply with new DPR regulations you are required to agree/disagree with this process. If you do not agree then please email the Admins using info@nikon-dslr.net Thank you.



UltraBB 1.173 Copyright © 2008-2021 Data 1 Systems
Page processed in 0.2033 seconds (21% database + 79% PHP). 100 queries executed.